Saturday, January 22, 2011

Reflections of a dead uncle.

Or maybe he isn’t related.
Maybe he isn’t dead.
He’s just sick, is all,
Or someone you hardly know.
But, probably, it’s not.

Just something you heard in passing.

He passed away earlier today.
Who?
Oh, you know.
He did? How sad.

And when the doctor came in to give him the bad news –

It’s cancer. I’m sorry.
Well, it’s about time.
I’m sorry?
Are you asking me now?
No, it’s just – why do you say that?
I’ve been smoking - this isn’t news.
Regardless.
You’re sorry. I know.

I wasn’t there –
But he knew it was better
To have a sense of humor

At least, always
When you get bad news.

I wasn’t there when he died.
But I wouldn’t have been able
To make him laugh,
Even if I was.
He deserved as much, anyway.

Just someone you barely know,
Or heard about
In passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment